That the price of electricity is skyrocketing is something we have known for several months now and it is something that worries all citizens a lot, as there are people who cannot afford these increases in their bills.
For this reason, here are some tips on how to save on your household electricity bill with the new tariff.
New electricity tariff
As of June 1, 2021, there is only one single electricity tariff, the 2.0TD. This tariff has prices differentiated by hourly time brackets for both power and consumption.
The power will have two periods:
- Peak power from 8:00 a.m. to 24:00 p.m.
- Valley power from 24 h at night to 8 a.m. and all day Saturday, Sunday and national holidays. This power will be much cheaper.
Consumption has three periods:
- The peak period is from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm from Monday to Friday. This period will be the most expensive.
- The flat period: from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and from 10:00 p.m. to midnight.
- The off-peak period from midnight to 8:00 a.m. and all hours of Saturday, Sunday and holidays. This will be the cheapest.
Tips to save on your electricity bill
Now that we know how the electricity bill is going to be quantified, we can make small changes in our daily lives to save on the cost of electricity.
Check the contracted power
One of the measures that can be adopted to save on the electricity bill is as simple as checking the power contracted with the supplier. Once you have been consulted, the power must be adapted to the real needs of the household.
It is allowed to change the power every two months and it is free of charge to do so a maximum of two times until May 31, 2022.
If you do not know if you have a contracted power above what you need, it is enough to think if in the last year you have ever lost power. If they have not jumped it is because the power is too high and therefore you can lower it.
Efficient use of household appliances.
As we have explained, there is a timetable where the cost of electricity is cheaper, so it is obvious to think that if appliances are used at this time, savings can be made on the electricity bill.
You should avoid using appliances such as the washing machine, dryer or dishwasher during peak hours and use them during off-peak hours. We are aware that in many homes, putting this type of appliances at night can cause inconvenience to neighbors, well, if that is your case, the ideal is that you use them in the flat schedule, which is less expensive than the rush hour.
On the other hand, if you have the possibility of using your appliances during off-peak hours, we recommend that, if they are modern, you program them to switch themselves on at the time you want, so that you don’t have to stay up until midnight to switch the dishwasher on or off.
Undoubtedly, avoiding rush hour use of these devices can save a lot of money.
Cooking at certain hours
We know that changing lunch and dinner times is practically impossible, but we can still save on our electricity bill by using the ceramic hob. To this end, we advise you to try to make the meal at the least expensive times and that at mealtime it only needs to be heated.
In addition, another option is to use Sunday afternoon to make lunch several days a week.
Get a good rate
Undoubtedly, the best way to save is to have the best product at the best price. To do so, you must be very aware of your tariff and how the new tariff will be managed. Will a single 24h price be maintained or the hourly discrimination that has been in place up to now? Will the price vary across time slots?
We advise you, then, that once you find out how your tariff is, you should compare with other electricity distributors to get the best option.
There are other measures that, if implemented, can also save you money on your electricity bill.
We are talking about the following:
- Replace normal light bulbs with LEDs or energy-saving bulbs.
- Unplug the cell phone charger when not in use
- Turn off the power strip switch
- Monitor the stanby of the television or computer.
- Lower the blinds at night to keep the heat in.
- Adjusts refrigerator temperature to 5 degrees and freezer temperature to below 18 degrees.
- Do not keep the light on if you do not use it.